Monday, June 27, 2016

peace be the journey

hi loves!

a lot happened this week and it's hard to put it all into words and one email.  we learned and grew and deepened relationships and understood how to contact more effectively and remembered the vision of missionary work and there were just SO MANY GLORIOUS THINGS that i wanted to tell you about.  but as per always, time and its restraints make fools of us all, so we're just going to talk about the most important things today.

being a flawed human in the faulty realm of human existence, i've come to learn a lot of things as we've strived to participate in a divine work as a full-time servant of our Savior Jesus Christ.

(Source: https://www.lds.org/media-library?lang=eng)

this last week, reflecting on these things has been one of the most bittersweet things i've ever done.  part of me is just filled with pure gratitude and satisfaction and the other part of me is so worried about what i've done and haven't done, the depth of my love and commitment, whether or not i've actually done what the Lord wanted me to do here and whether or not i helped and found and loved all those He called me here to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with.  and in the midst of these worries, the Lord tenderly took my hand and taught me this lesson:

 "9 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

 "10 And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea,then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me." (Alma 29: 9-10)

He just reminded me that "my mission" isn't about me at all.  It is about Jesus Christ.  It's about His Atonement


and His way

(Source for both art pictures: https://www.lds.org/media-library?lang=eng)

and His desires. And it's about seeing these people the way that He does, and giving all in my power AND His to invite and help them come unto the Savior that we all are in such great need of.  I feel like the only way to "return with honor" and endure to the end and have no regrets in missionary work and in life is to take a page out of the Savior's book and stop making these soul-shaping experiences about us.  When Christ came to save us, He came to SAVE US.  He didn't come to save us...aaand be super cool and make friends and see the world and become a hero and gain personal satisfaction and be admired and missed and loved and appreciated.  He came for the sole purpose of saving us, and the success of MY mission will not be measured only in what I learned and how I developed and who I've become and whether or not that's sufficient, but in how I use my agency and my faith in this very moment and seek to help the souls around me come unto Christ.  And because of a merciful God that allows us to choose ourselves, that's a choice that is NEVER too late or never too far away to make.  I am grateful.  I hope to make it my whole life.  But especially and always, I hope to make it today!

And lastly, D&C 76:22-24.

"22 And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!

"23 For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—

"24 That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God."

I just want to say that Christ truly is our Savior.  I know He loves us and that because of Him, we really can change.  We really can become new people and become closer to God and know that we are doing what we should be and that we're fulfilling our purpose and potential.  I testify of a living God who loves and wants to save and lift each of His children.  He's heard my prayers and He's heard the prayers of these people and His hand has been in it all.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true, and that is true with all it entails.  The Book of Mormon is the word of God, Joseph Smith was a prophet and we are being led today by a true and living prophet.  AND IT IS JOY!!  It is real!

Alma 32:35

"35 O then, is not this real? I say unto you, Yea, because it is light; and whatsoever is light, is good, because it is discernible, therefore ye must know that it is good; and now behold, after ye have tasted this light is your knowledge perfect?"

The love is real and so is the light.  Thank you for everything.  Grateful to get to love and serve

Sis. Hansen singing at Mission Conference in KZ 
(Photo credit: Sis. Diane Toronto)


and learn and follow the Savior all of my life.

Sis. Hansen with Pres. and Sis. Toronto at Mission Conference in KZ
(Photo credit: Sis. Diane Toronto)

Love,
Sister Hansen


No comments:

Post a Comment