Sunday, May 8, 2016

love is spoken here

HI LOVED ONES!!!

first of all, families are joy.  thank you for our time yesterday.  i'm sorry that i had sooo many emotions...i just cried all night because i was worried that i wasted our skype time by not being happy.  it was kind of a weird day before that.  and i'm sorry for being a weenie.  but i just hope you know how much i sincerely love and appreciate you.  being here has confirmed to me every day that the Lord was so merciful in blessing me with such a good family.  you just love and serve others the way the Savior would.  each of you extends kindness and patience to others, including me, even when it's not convenient or desirable for you, just because you love the Lord and want to be like Him.  you are truly my heroes, dad, mum, tay, mark and tia.  i love you SO MUCH.  thank you for all you do.  and even though leaving kazakhstan and this mission will be the most bittersweet thing in the world, i am so excited to see you and so grateful that i will get to be with you again.  i just love you a lot and hope you feel my love--and especially HIS love--every day.

"look at our cute mission!!!  ahhh!!!" (Mission Conference for Central Eurasian Mission, Istanbul, Turkey, 2015)

i just wanted to share something i shared with President this week:

Lastly, this week there's been a lot on my mind.  On my mission, I have really been striving to become obedient and strong and someone the Lord can count on to be going about His work in any situation.  With all my heart I want Him to catch me doing something good for His children in those moments when you don't think anyone is watching you.  The problem is, though, in trying to make these things my habits--in trying to always testify about the Restoration, in trying to always talk about the Book of Mormon, in trying to have faith-filled perspective, in trying to talk to everyone I see, in trying to make sure no one is sitting alone at church or at English or in whatever situation--it's easy for it to become a routine.  Even though they're good things, and maybe even the best things in life, they too can become things that we kind of "take for granted" because it's just part of the schedule.  I don't feel as sincere and loving as I did at the beginning of my mission.  And it breaks my heart.  It worries me that it takes so much effort right now to not just talk to everyone and not just testify, but to do so with conviction.  Not just to have the actions of a shepherd, but the heart of one, too.  I think it's the same question Elder M. Clark asked at mission conference with Elder Holland--how do we continually have conviction in this glorious work even when we're doing the same thing over and over?.  I haven't completely figured it out yet, but in studies this week, something that really struck me was the beginning of Mark 11 when Christ came into Jerusalem with "hosannas" and praises to His name.  He was the Son of God.  He could--and probably should--have had that kind of welcome and respect every day of His life.  He could have been like a celebrity and riden around, showing off His powere and inherent goodness...but that wasn't the way He chose to life.  His was a humble and personal ministry.  His concern was for individuals, not crowds.  His actions weren't to ensure the praise of others, but to heal and save souls.  And in thinking about how I can demonstrate that kind of love and sincerity and faith and individuality, I've come to realize that it can only happen one person at a time.  And even though we should be talking to as many people as we can every day, each individual deserves to feel like, in that moment, we really genuinely are doing this for THEM, with sincere willingness to share those burdens that we all carry, because that's how the Savior would contact them.  The Lord is teaching me to cherish every chance I have to bear my testimony to my brothers and sisters as a set apart representative of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  And even though sometimes I'm a hard-hearted student, I'm so grateful for His patience with me and for the way His Son walks with me every day, on the water and through fire, through hills and valleys alike.

i was thinking about this when i got this little gem from my girl alyssa:

Alyssa, one of Sis.  Hansen's former volleyball teammates and good friends who recently returned from her mission to Germany. (Photo credit: Facebook. Used with permission)

I had an incredible incredible experience while in the temple. I won’t go into tons of detail about it, but pretty much, I have had a couple things really bothering me lately. After praying and searching for an answer, God comforted me through other people. Who so randomly told me exactly what I needed to hear. The thing I really noticed though, was how natural both situations were. God didn’t have the people jump through hoops to help me, they probably didn’t even realize they had helped me so much. I thought about on a mission, how you are constantly striving to help people and sometimes you get to a point where you really don’t know what to do to help them, and I know I tended to really overcomplicate things. But there are times you probably don’t realize the effect your kind words have on others. So keep your mouth open. God seriously works through us.

                Here is my favorite scripture that talks about this, I had it written above my desk on the mish: "Therefore, strengthen your brethren in all your conversation, in all your prayers, in all your exhortations, and in all your doings. And behold, and lo, I am with you to bless you and deliver you forever. Amen." D&C 108:7-8


and just remembered again that the gospel is simple.  and that the Lord doesn't ask us to save His children.  that's why He sent His Son, Jesus Christ.  He just asks us to love them.  to serve them.  to testify to them.  to strengthen them the way we can.  and with Him, the little bit we can give--be it 700000 loaves of bread or just a few crumbs--is enough to relieve the suffering of others.  and i am so grateful for that.


lastly, something i loved from President Packer this week:

"I know what He felt in Gethsemane 
Is too much to comprehend.
I know He did it all for us;
We have no greater Friend.


I know that He will come anew
With power and in glory.
I know I will see Him once again 
At the end of my life's story.


I'll kneel before His wounded feet;
I'll feel His Spirit glow.
My whispering, quivering voice will say,
"My Lord, my God, I know."





The church is true, my loved ones.  and what's more, it's Christ's.  He lives, He loves us and He directs His work today.  may we all live to be closer to Him and to help others do the same.


all all alllll the love, loved ones.  i keep you in my prayers and know you're in  heaven's hands.  happy monday, lovers.  talk soon :)


xoxoxox sister hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment