Wednesday, January 21, 2015

life is sad when open toed shoes are nilzya

fun fact: today all I wanted to do was wear dad's sweater that I stole with my jeans rolled up with wool socks and my hawaiian sandals so I put it on and it just felt right.  It was a moment of serenity in this dismal universe.  And then I remembered that open toed shoes aren't allowed and I shed a single tear.  Now I'm wearing those adorable (and incredibly unmatching with this outfit bc guess who's still wearing rolled jeans and socks) Taos shoes.  and such is life.  жизнь такая.

alright alright so this was a pretty bad jubilant week and I hate email day because I never know how to talk about it.  Why do bad things happen to good people.  But I will try!

- there's this girl here from Ukraine and she is the actual loveliest but I almost never talked to her because a) I only ever saw her in passing and b) she scared me because my Russian is bad.  But I had a real chat with her and another sister going to Russia and it. was. the. best.  She is seriously so beautiful as a human.  Hearing her talk about the members in Ukraine and how strong they are and how the youth are the strongest where Ukraine is most war-torn made me want to bawl.  And then hearing HER say that she knows they will love us and that she knows there are people waiting for us seriously killed me.  Sister Allen and I were just sobbing the happiest tears.  It was such a tender mercy.  People are BEAUTIFUL and I am so excited to be there with them.  Heavenly Father's love for us personally is real and I love it.

- Elder M. Russell Ballard talked to us last night and it was the best.  I don't have time to look through my notes right now but it was wonderful and I am so grateful for prophets.  (actually he did tell us this quick thing: whenever we're feeling discouraged, write a letter to Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail. "Try to cheer him up."  I thought it was interesting that he talked about Liberty Jail because I've been thinking about that a lot this week.  More to come in the billion mile long letter I've been writing the last week or so.  Prepare yourselves.)

- Saturday night our district and the district that came in last Wednesday (because we have the leadership district bc we're the oldest now and have both the ZLs and STLs) (also Brunson Smith comes in next week holla holla) had an impromptu blessing session/testimony meeting and it was beautiful.  However, the thing that hit me the most was when Elder Crabb--an Elder from my district--bore his testimony about how angels helped pioneers, and how we are called to the be angels to the pioneers in Russia.  That went along with the theme of humility and clarity that I had this week because I realized YET AGAIN that this work is zero percent about me.  It's great that I'm kind of a "pioneer" serving in this new part of the world but the real pioneers are these people we're serving.  The opportunity to serve them is so humbling and I am so so so grateful.

- we've had some super cool lessons this week.  I'm learning so much about what it takes to bring the spirit and about how literally EVERYTHING we do should be focused on others.  Like I said...humbling and clear.  But so happy.  I find that I'm really the happiest when I remember that it isn't about me. 

Oh man.  I love yous so much.  And I am so grateful for you.  Only 2.5 weeks left in the MTC!!  Ochen crazy but ochen good.  The love is real.  Thank you for everything, thank you for the packages, thank you for the prayers and thank you for the love.  You're the best.  God bless us, everyone. (lil timmy voice) (<--- hope you read that in a Tom Haverford voice)

this week i ate a kymchee bowl and used some well-washed and also wrapped candy canes as chopsticks so look forward to selfies from that experience.  hahahah love you

Treat yourself.

sister Hansen

Bro. & Sis. Server, missionaries from our Ward, who will be serving for 18 months in Costa Rica, sent us this picture of them with Sis. Hansen when they went to the cafeteria at the MTC.  Thank you, Servers!  xoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment